Ruth Childs and Cécile Bouffard started the project Delicate People in 2021 aiming to combine their respective disciplines, dance and sculpture. Delicate People is a series of vignettes dealing with figures and motifs of disturbing identities and fine-tuned movements. Both artists cultivate intuition and indeterminancy, fostering suspension of judgment and disruption in form. During their first work session at La Becque, in partnership with L’Arsenic, five initial forms were created to fit Ruth’s body.
Cécile’s work is an invitation to self-projection: an outline incites a grip, a curve a gesture. Her sculptures, arranged with folkloric motifs, call for the recognition of a certainty that can tip over into fragility as soon as the viewpoint is shifted. In a digressive logic, Childs works with the sculptures to create rhythmic patterns, traversing movements, figures and affects suggesting stories nourished by references common to both artists.
Together they seek to design a wandering object, to create a space of emancipation as much in the narrative structure as in the production method.
- 25.10.2023Body On and On & YongFoo Élite, Shanghai, China
- 22.10.2023Body On and On & UCCA Center for Contemporary Art, Beijing, China
- 23.09–24.04.2023Centre culturel suisse. On Tour, Cité Internationale, Paris, France
- 01–02.09.2023CAN Centre d’art Neuchâtel, Switzerland
- 17.06.2023Extension Sauvage, Combourg, France
- 02.06.2023Arsenic, Lausanne, Switzerland
- 21.11.2021Le Grütli, Geneva (work in progress)
- 18–19.09.2021Festival Constellations, Toulon (work in progress)
- 02.07.2021Centre culturel suisse. Paris (work in progress)
- 12.06.2021La Becque, La Tour-de-Peilz (work in progress)